Why You Need to Detox
Toxins such as pollution and pesticides cause hormonal imbalance. There is strong evidence that environmental toxins cause Insulin Resistance, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Thyroid Disease, Breast Cancer, Endometriosis, Infertility and many more conditions.
Fortunately, our body is made to detoxify. Removal of the natural waste of metabolism is one of the biggest and most energy-consuming activities that our organs undertake, and they do it every minute of every day.
In our traditional environment, our organs had detox well in hand. Today, our organs are presented with an additional work-load: inflammatory foods, pharmaceutical drugs, food additives, cosmetics, and environmental pollutants. The extra workload is so large that it's a wonder that our organs don't just quit in disgust (sometimes they do).
What are they symptoms of over-worked detoxification organs? Sluggish metabolism. Spotty skin. Brain fog. Rapid ageing.
What is the solution? Upgrade the capacity of the detoxification system. Traditional methods of fasting and purification do not work because they mobilise and activate toxins for removal, but they do not complete the process of removal through bowel and kidney. These activated toxins are more damaging to the body than stored toxins and are the cause of 'detoxification' symptoms such as headaches and fatigue. If detoxification is stimulated, then it should be completed, and that requires Phase 2 liver detoxification.
Phase 2 liver enzymes package up toxins for the last stage of their removal through bowel and kidney. Phase 2 enzymes need vital nutrition, particularly protein such as meat, fish and eggs. They also need cruciferous vegetables and a functioning intestinal flora. Supporting Phase 2 is a nourishing approach to Detox. There is no need to starve, or to have diarrhoea or headaches. Instead, the body is given what it needs to build up its strength and to keep up with the demands of our chemical world.
Basic principles of Detox:
- Avoid as many toxins as possible. Do not take the Birth Control Pill, Statin drugs, antibiotics, stomach acid medication or other pharmaceuticals. Do not use fly sprays or garden pesticides. Do not microwave in plastic. Choose natural cleaning products, cosmetics and sunscreens. Reduce alcohol, and do NOT smoke.
- High phytonutrient foods protect against the inflammation from the activated toxins of Phase 1. Best foods are brightly coloured vegetables such as leafy greens and berries. Supplements such as turmeric, milk thistle and vitamin C.
- Foods for Phase 2 detoxification: Fibre, probiotics, sulfur-containing vegetables, such as broccoli and cabbage. Also meat, fish and eggs. Supplements that contains amino acids N-acetyl cysteine, methionine, and taurine. Minerals such as iron, zinc and selenium are also important.
- Drink healthy fluids. Hydration is essential. Best options are filtered or spring water, herbal tea or green tea, and diluted natural fruit juice. For a potent dose of detox-nutrients, try a fresh vegetable juice.
- Eat less often. Research from the Institute on Aging has shown that a 'mini-fasting' is a remarkably effective way to improve detoxification. Fasting for 16 -20 hours frees the liver from the burden of food so that it can catch up with its other detoxification duties while you sleep. (See Intermittent Fasting article.)
- Improve lymphatic flow with exercise.
- Reduce stress hormones. The stress hormone cortisol is essentially a toxin. It contributes to the total toxic burden, and also slows down metabolic rate.
-Sleep. Your detoxification system is most active during sleep.
Appointments at Sensible-Alternative
For professional advice regarding detoxification, please make an appointment with one of our naturopaths.
Sydney CBD • North Sydney
To book, please contact our receptionist Lisa on our Sydney phone number: 02 8011 1994 or email click here. reception <at> sensible-alternative.com.au